Travels With Myself


Sunday 28 February 2010

La Fortuna and waterfalls

This weekend a group of us went to La Fortuna, a touristy town an hour and a half from where we are. We had signed up for waterfall repelling on the Saturday at 7.30am so we went out for drinks to relax after our hard week. The hostel we stayed in was beautiful and clean and the was a pool am hammocks with a direct view onto the volcano! More delicious cocktails, lava cocktail anyone? We met a bung if people and went to what I thought was a scetchy bar down a dirt track. It was a cool wooden lodge and we chatted to some guys who pretty sleezy so I ended up making friends with the old bar man who was giving spanish lessons during the evening.
We stupidly went to bed to late and only had 4 hours sleep before having to rise and throw ourselves off waterfalls. So waterfall repelling is absailing down waterfalls and canyoning out of the jungle. It was amazing the highest waterfall was 170 feet! So going down we would have to push off the rock behind the waterfall so we got so drenched! The jungle was amazing so so beautiful, like nothing I've ever seen.
It was a very tiring morning and after some arroz con pollo we arrived back at the hostel. Jocelyn and I went shopping and there were so beautiful shops. Jocelyn speaks good Spanish so we started to chat to the local artisans and I joined in a bit! We stayed a long time in one shop and were it was a family that amde beautiful beaded jewellery. He ended up giving us a bracelet each as a gift! We are planning to go back in the next few weeks to give him a card.
That evening me and michelle went to the natural volcanic hot springs until after 10 pm! It was the most relaxing evening i've had. There were different pools and some were cool, one was 43 degrees, hot hot hot. When we got back to the hostel we were so tired. We decided to have ice cream and fruit at the bar, while people were doing shots, ten to bed for a great sleep.
It has been raining a lot here this week so I know I will be coming back paler than when I left!
We got back earlier today and have been relaxing and napping, a good relaxing weekend.
The only downside was the one water slide I did at the hot springs which I think broke all health and safety rules! I have seriously hurt my neck and when I got back to the hostel the it we made freinds that worked at reception said people have broken their arms! Wish I known that before!
Needing to brainstorm for placement tmw, off to practise some spanish as well. Hope everyone has had a good weekend and feels rested for the week ahead xxxxx

5 comments:

  1. Hello! Sounds like a really good weekend but very tiring... how was your day today? What are you doing with the children now? I'm going to send a big e-mail your way tomorrow with all the goss going on here.... hollyoaks included ha!

    Love you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie,

    Absailing down waterfalls, drinking cocktails and lying by the pool - sounds fantastic! Glad you had such a lovely weekend. Hope this is a better week for you with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fab weekend, just what I needed, though unfortunately the placement hasn't got much better and I've spoken to the organisation about switching. I'm going to an elderly care home on wednesday and Friday to switch things up so hopefully things will get a bit better xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fab weekend. I should have read this before emailing you so ignore all my questions. I'm glad you're going to vary your placement. This sounds much better. Keep your neck warm - wrap it with a scarf or a piece of cloth. I'm not sure I'll try the absailing down a waterfall when I come.
    Love you xxxxxx Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi just let you know I'm still reading! Will send you a proper mail with all the news later today, glad to see Maddi's keeping you up to speed on hollyoaks, its quite exciting at the moment!
    Waterfall sounds amazing, although the slides less so, hope you're necks feeling better. I really fancy a hot volcano spring, with a lava cocktail in hand maybe?!
    love x x x x x

    ReplyDelete