Travels With Myself


Tuesday 23 February 2010

Well today after work we all went on a hike to tw Arenal volcano, the most active volcano in costa rica and the third most active in the world. You can only get so close as the are little eruptions eachday, so we hiked as far as the rock formations which fell as a result of the last big eruption on 1992 and 1967. The landscape looked like Mordor and the road up to mount doom! The were rock and boulders as far as the eye could see, luckily no orks, and the surrounding land is full of trees and cattle. I had been hoping to sew some lava but aparently this volcano is not a lava volcano, it usually erupts rocks and gases. In fact while we were there it spurt out boulders and we heard them coming down the volcano and saw all the smoke. Each rock is around the size of a Volkswagen beetle and on impact it breaks up and avalanches down the sides.
Today was unually clear so we had a great view but it was also abnormally hot and close and again I was a sweaty mess! It's becoming a permanent state of mine. Not something I am enjoying.
So this weekend is looking like a trip to La Fortuna, a town about 2 hours away, right next to arenal volcano. I'm going with 4 other girls and we are planning to visit the natural hot springs and perhaps do waterfall absailing! Can't wait!
Lots if love, hope ur not to cold where you are, I'll try to send some heat ur way! xxxxx

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, natural hot springs, lovely! I can't believe I just didn't check your site for what feels like about two days and suddenly I've missed so much! I will check more now I promise.

    The children sound like a bit of a mixed bunch(!) clearly in very tough circumstances. I LoVe your fort idea, its complete genius. All the waterfalls and beaches sound amazing, definitely should off-set the stressful elements (though they better start behaving themselves or I'll be jetting over to sort them out!)

    Good to hear your room mates are cool. Karaoke in another language is always that little extra bit challenging! Do tell us what the new favourite drink involves?!

    I can't believe you've been up a volcano, I mean really can't imagine it, feel like my eyes are going all round and saucer like just thinking about it!

    I have caught a cold from one of my sickly flatmates, not impressed! Its really nice to hear from you, like a window on another world! Keep it up!

    Miss you lots
    x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing Sophie and I'm glad you are having a blast! But you and volcanoes, flying rocks and waterfall absailing - probably not soothing the parental nerves and concerns!! Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear all about what you are doing Soph. Lois is right - I am getting a bit nervous about all this. But do enjoy yourself.
    Those kids sound mental but don't take it personally and don't see it as a failing on your part. They will be like this with anyone. What a shame. Your descriptions of your visits are great and as Claire says a window into another world. It's snowing here and I have 4 layers on and I still feel cold. Is this Narnia???
    Promise I will watch out for your blog everyday now. It makes fascinating reading.
    Lots of love Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my darling (maddi here with jonny by my side we just made carbonara and its a bit overcooked but nice and carby for the winter chills!) It sounds like a really exciting weekend! the abseiling is going to be really good :) and yes I am very very jealous of all of your dance lessons! I'm loving your blogs its good to keep so up to date with everything!!! Lol mordor... 'we're taking the hobbits to isenguard to isengaurd the hobbits the hobbits da da da da da da'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello claire I miss you! I'm sorry to hear ur I hope u feel better soon. Hope ur course is going well any exam results? Hope ur not too stressed, it's so different out here but so cool to be here. For everyones info a quepos breeze is rum, strawberries and fresh pinapple juice, all blended with ice! Yummy yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lois! I've been looking at ur blog it's so interesting! Quespos breeze is highly recommend I think it would definately work in Scotland! Xxx

    ReplyDelete