Travels With Myself


Saturday 17 April 2010

Eco Ranch and Yoga: My weekend by Lake Arenal part 1

Last weekend I decided to go it alone to an organic eco ranch called Rancho Margot, up in Castillo, near Lake Arenal. I was being picked up from the Cathedral in La Fortuna at 6pm as a shuttle ran from there to the ranch. So 6pm came and I was waiting, and a truck pulled up with the ranch´s name on the side. However the truck was full of men, litrally hanging out the windows and It was not what I´d expected. So I put my backpack in the open trunck and squeezed into the back between some rather sweaty costa rican men. I knew it was over an hour to the ranch so I attempted some awkward Spanish chat, while hoping that this was really going to the ranch and I was not going to be chopped up into tiny pieces and hidden in the lake. The road was one of the bumpiest I´ve been on and trying to not fall on these guys was really difficult but it certainly broke the ice and they began chatting to me about how they were the kitchen staff and were coming back from a few days off in the town. We all arrived at the ranch just after 7pm and it was pitch black. The concept of the eco ranch was a little electricity as possibile so I was practically blink stumbling out the truck until a guy came up with a torch and shone the way to reception.
Once inside there was a really chilled atmosphere and zero 7 playing through the restaurant. I was taken by electric golf cart up to the bunk house where I had reserved a small room which fitted simply a bunkbed and some hooks. I grabbed my torch and headed back down the dark path to dinner. All the food at the ranch was organic, with over 60% of it being grown on the ranches farm. There were huge bowls of salad, fresh bread a vegetarian pasta for dinner and aI read my book while I dined. People seemed surprised to see me by myself but I had my trusty book for company and soon started having the odd chat with the staff and other guests. I was told yoga started at 7am in the morning so after my dinner I headed back to my room for some sleep before my early start.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Sophie, you are certainly packing it all in before you head home! Looking forward to hearing how the morning yoga class was. Sounds fantastic. How is your face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkFhafk26A

    ReplyDelete