Travels With Myself


Monday 5 April 2010

It's been too long!

As you may have noticed it's been a wee while since I last updated my blog, I have been keeping notes so I can eventually document it all but I have been suffering from blog fatigue. I also lost my debit card last weekend which meant I didn't feel like remembering that weekend! So, the last week of march, and my sixth week I spent in a few different placements. I had my last day with the kids and I showed them some postcards of Edinburgh and the castle, their eyes went really wide, they couldn't believe what a castle looked like, they were asking if it was my house. I wasn't sad to say goodbye to them, I don't know what this says about me, maybe I am little heartless, but I just didn't get attached to them. It wad sad to say goodbye to Marlane, the lady who runs the centre as she has been really lovely to me and helped me pick up Spanish. I started helping at another placement called Amureci, which is a women's group set up with the focus of making products from recycling, like banana paper. It's aim is for female empowerment through work and embracing our responsibility towards the environment. They have been suffering due to the lack of tourism in the area and so have been refurbishing the store so I have been helping them scrub walls and paint the shop. It's been really tiring but totally satisfying. It's looking really good and we will be starting to put more products ou this week.
On of the women's uncles is a man at the elderly home who I often take for walks. He is almost blind and has no teeth so he can't talk easily. He is so sweet and hops his head everytime wenplay music at the home. He is not very mobile but always wants to try to take part in the exercises. Over the weeks I have seen him become more enthusiastic which is just brilliant. The work at the elderly home is going really well. It is both rewarding and sad at the same time. I have started being required to feed some of the more immobile ladies and another guy who is blind. At first I was really daunted and uncomfortable with the idea, however when I started it wasn't weird at all. It was good, i just kept smiling and encouraging them. I havso much respect for them, life must be so hard when you grow old and are in their situations. We have made Fridays nails day and Purna and I have been painting the ladies nails for them. It goes down really well and they seem so cheered by having pink and red nails. It's a way for us all to grow closer and have fun together.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about the old people - you always manage to make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have all become my surrogate grandparents! They also have a craft room at the home with lots of crocheting and knitting! Xxx

    ReplyDelete