Travels With Myself


Thursday 11 March 2010

Monteverde Part 2

After ziplining we had a quick turn around in which to dash home and grab an extra layer and a snack before we headed out on our night trail walk through the Forrest. Most of the animals in the Forrest are easier to see at night or dusk and so this walk starts as the sun is starting to set. We were each given a torch by the guide and we headed into the forest. As it grew darker we spotted sloths curled up in the branches and lots of colourful birds falling asleep, despite the strong winds! Once the ligh had faded I realised the while Forrest was dotted with fireflies which were flying all around, it was like the movie ferngully! The guide was catching them and holding them to show us. The noises as night were intence so many insects and birds, plus he winds rushing throught the layers of vegetation. It was incredibly surreal being there in pitch black with only a few torch lights. When I pointed my torch upwards all I could see seas layer upon layer of vegetation, it was so dense! While watching we also found a tarantula and a huge, I mean huge ants nest (which resulted in nightmares about ants that night). The trail walk was beautiful and I felt I had seen the inner part of Costa Rica. Once we emerged after two hours, the sky was clear and black and I have never seen so many stars in my life, it was like glitter had spilt across the sky.
They next day we returned to cuidad quesada, I was not ready to go. While in the jeep down to the lake we saw rainbows across the valleys, I could have stayed there for a long time. I will definately try to get back there at some point, it felt like the costa rica I had read about when I first started planning this trip.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I would love to do that. Please take us there when we come. Glad to hear the weather has picked up Be careful not to burn!!!
    Mum

    ReplyDelete